Pages

Sunday 15 December 2019

Summer learning journey Day 1 activity 1

Activity 1: Setting Sail [4 points]
People from Pacific nations have always been expert explorers and navigators. In the past, they used the stars, sun and ocean swells to find their way (navigate) around the Pacific Ocean. Master navigator, Nainoa Thompson, has used the ancient Polynesian wayfinding skills to navigate around the world. In 2013, Nainoa led a crew across the Pacific Ocean on two large canoes (Hokule’a and Hikianalia). The crew stopped off in Aotearoa, New Zealand in 2015 on their journey and visited the Manaiakalani Schools in Auckland.
Here is a short video about Polynesian navigation. It describes the different ways ancient Polynesian navigators used the natural world to find their way around vast oceans. Incredible!
I think that it would be difficult to be ‘at sea’ for weeks at a time. I would miss my family but I would also enjoy the adventure. Let’s imagine that you were invited to join Nainoa for three weeks at sea. As part of the journey, you have to pack your own food.

On your blog, post your list of 10 food items you would take on an ocean voyage and the reasons why you chose these items.
1. I would take water because I would be dehydrated.
2. I would take fruits so I can be healthy and it will be delicious.
3. I will take gum so my breath will smell nice.
4. I will take vegetables so I can be healthy .
5. I would take chicken and chips to eat some hot food.
6. I would take sushi because it is healthy.
7. I will take mouth wash because when all the gum is finished I need to use something else.
8. I will take impossible burger because it is healthier than a normal burger.
9. I will take bread and spreads for breakfast.
10. I will take cooked meat so I can be strong.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Sione,
    Its me Christopher. I really enjoyed reading what will you take and mine was kind of similar to yours. But if you take chicken and chips it will be cold by the time you eat it. Besides that you did a great job and good luck for the rest of Summer Learning Journey.

    Kind Regards
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Sione,

    Good afternoon! How are you doing? My name is Olive and I’m one of the blog commentators for The Summer Learning Journey. I’m super excited to see what you and your classmates will get up to these holidays!

    Thank you for a great blog post! I’m super impressed by your effort and creativity! I love the amount of research you’ve put it when answering the question. That video about Polynesian Navigation is super interesting! I really appreciate you put that extra effort in. Ka pai! I think you have some very detailed reasons for taking your specific food. Ka pai on your effort!

    If you had to take a person with you on that Island, who would you take?

    Ngā mihi,
    Olive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sione,
    Hope your dong great. Just wanted to say that I think you don't need more meat because your already really strong. That is really smart of you thinking of what happens when something you take runs out.
    Keep up the good work!

    Laki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sione.
    Its me Lukas. They are very detailed reasons for why you would take the food. But mouth wash isn't a food item. Your cooked meat would dry up if it wasn't in the fridge.
    Other than that keep up the good work!

    Kind Regards
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete